Friday, September 07, 2007

The Number Game

The other day I walked into swim practice and was confronted with a vision of Orem High's JV Swim Team. There was a kid there who was in my sixth grade class, only I didn't remember his name. All I remembered was his number in the numerical system that was set up in that class. #30.

I began to realize what was done to me in that class has twisted and scarred me. I remember many of the students in that class's faces, but not many of their names. Not one of their numbers has been forgotten. It's sick how these people, the memories, and the personalities, have all been erased by numbers. They no longer hold any more value to me than an integer like 18 (Jake Mortensen).

This summer, I was assigned a number at work to clock in and clock out of. I memorized it in a day, and now it comes without any thought. My subconscious sees me as this number. I can't help but think that numbers are erasing our identities. Each time I open my math book, I am confronted with numbers. Are all the problems in the book people who lost their identities, remembered only in math books? What if one of the problems I did today and hated was actually my great great grandfather? Are my pretend friends from childhood only remembered as imaginary numbers (23i)?

The number business must stop. We need to stop chanting "We're number one," at sporting events. We're just losing our identities when we do. Take back your name! Write off those numbers! At least spell them out! Vote for the presidential candidate that supports abolishing numbers. Let's get rid of the numbers once and for all. This is 26, over and out.

3 comments:

  1. I was just talking to konnie about this. One of my favorite books is about just this...people loosing their identity and they all are known by numbers...perhaps you two should read it together, she just got it out of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that some people should be given an irrational number as their identity. The jerk of a cop I ran into this morning would be called square root of two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 29 all the way!!!! And by the way #30 was Brent Willmore. Yeah it really is kinda sick that we remember all of the numbers... 1 was Tim Abbott, 2 was Regan Bailey, 3 I don't remember, bless their soul, 4 was Audra Campbell, etc. etc. Good ol' Lex was 12...wow we really have been branded. I remember that in first grade, I was number 22. Aaaah memories!

    ReplyDelete