Friday, January 12, 2007

Happy End Of The Term Eve!

Yes, it's that time of the year again. I call it End Of The Term Eve. A time when we have the opportunity to sit back and contemplate just how much the term happened to be no fun at all. A time to right wrongs in the form of bad grades. A time of friendship, when the parents of the "A" students yell at teachers. A time to get everything in, including blogs. My only regret is that I will be unable to date this blog into the future on Sunday at 1:43 PM, because Lord Rich might possibly fail to notice that comments on the blog are dated, technically, before the blog ever existed.

I will now examine the Term End Neurosis that so often accompanies the term end, namely what the French call poisson du ciel (literally "wailing and gnashing of teeth"). As the acronym (TEN) suggests, it could also stand for Tortuous English Neurosis, and be explained through ten different answers. Wait. That can't possibly be correct. No way in the world would I accept an acronym that would force me to work. Instead, I will analyze the "term is Over syNdromE."

What could cause responsible (responsible, my eye!) students to procrastinate? I think the reason lays in the fact that, and I think I speak for all Americans when I say this, homework is about as much fun as reading Moby Dick. Especially when the homework IS reading Moby Dick. In fact, the homework usually has about as much significance as Moby Dick, except that Moby Dick might have more practical application in the real world than homework. This is because I find it much more likely that I will become an obsessed, fury filled sailor bent on killing a whale, than ever becoming someone who has to use the Fundemental Theorem Of Calculus (who's fundementality should really be taken into question, like question in the form of the Inquisition) in a real life situation that does not involve boring hobbies. And so, homework haters everywhere refuse to do it until the last possible moment that they might. I think I'll restate it in bold letters, and in caps, so King Rich can have an easy time finding the poisson qui a fumé un ordinateur (literally, "important part of the blog"). END OF TERM SYNDROME IS CAUSED BECAUSE STUDENTS DON'T LIKE TO DO HOMEWORK UNTIL THE LAST POSSIBLE SECOND. Now I should probably post this before my last second is up.

6 comments:

  1. Well, other than my concern with the fish that are smoking computers (a literal translation?), I agree: homework is as boring as reading Moby Dick. Not that I have read Moby Dick; but along the same lines, it's not like I've ever done homework either. . . JUST KIDDING! Don't start your "chill out, Church Nazi" talk! I figure that, as long as the homework gets done, it's okay if there's some procrastination involved.
    But one day (specifically the second week of May 2007), you'll be very grateful you know the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. And knowing L'hopital's rule, Chain Rule, and the laws of integration wouldn't hurt, either. But as for that tree of procrastination in your heart, welcome to the club; I just did my jazz listening assignments and final project - all the night before the last day of the term. Happy "End of the Term Eve", and as Mr. Carpenter says before one of his sugar-coated tests: "Happy Studying!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally have read Moby Dick. It was forced upon during my senior year in high school. On one occasion, my teacher called for us to turn in our homework by climbing on top of the table at the front of the room and yelling, “Hast thou seen the great, white worksheet?” We laughed, but we still hated Moby Dick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L'hopital's rule? Is that like the French word "l'hôpital?" Does that mean that this rule is for when a derivative gets injured? Or is this what happens when you go insane from the pointlessness of it all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, and yes. In that order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. L'hopital's rule is incredibly important, because it allows you to consider the possibility of attempting to divide 0 by 0 or infinity by infinity. Not being able to do either one of these was the direct cause of Watergate and Nixon's impeachment. Hope you're paying attention, President Ludwig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you still haven't answered my question on who you like. fyi. speaking of fyi, are you going to efy? and when katie said to leave a comment on my page, you can! just not OUR page, the one you can visit is... valerifreakingwinnster.blogspot.com. have fun with that. leave a comment! oh, and i am so impressed that you have that great of integrity... honestly. talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete