Friday, January 26, 2007

Civil Engineering: A Good Waste Of Money

This week, I had to go to Mutual. I mean, I had the opportunity to go, because we got to listen to a civil engineer talk about Katrina for an hour and half. I'll admit that nothing could have topped off watching 150 white slides, with a couple of pictures on them. Sir Clark (aka Sir Awesome, King of the Universe, One of the Three Nephites, and Mark And Kyler's Role Model Forever) does a much better job of narrating such slide shows ("Now, we don't usually build houses on top of cars..."), and his even have RED slides, and the occasional picture of a DINOSAUR. Needless to say, soon "Dirty Little Secret" Card was texting "...---...". Wait. That was the telegraph. I meant to say that he was texting, "Save Me" to everyone he knew. Then President Ludwig threw my shoe.

But that doesn't mean that the activity was totally without interesting parts. After he got done telling us that houses float for the 200th time, the civil engineer told us stories wherein he managed to lose 2 "moles," heavy drill bit like pieces of equiptment worth five million. Then he went on to tell us that civil engineers don't make much money. Well I wonder why? Maybe it's because they're too busy losing millions of taxpayer dollars to make any for themselves. This really gets my goose (so give it back!). Why in the world does the government do such stupid things? Why do they waste our money? Probably because they wouldn't know what to do if the federal debt wasn't increasing. Afterall, credit (debt) is the sign of real economics. At least that's what the world tells us. It really doesn't make much sense, but neither does the government. Or maybe they're trying to make our lives better. It's an odd twist on the idea of the government, but I think it might be true. Here's another example of the government trying to make our lives better and just wasting our money:

No Child Left Behind. The idea of this is basically that the government spends taxpayer money to make sure that kids who would normally drop out and be supported by welfare will take tests and maintain a specific level of proficiency, so they can drop out and be supported by welfare. Obviously, it's phenominally successful. It's implementer, George "Walker, Texas Ranger" Bush stated recently that he wasn't a "lame duck." Well, obviously, No Child Left Behind is doing a great job with him too, cause he understands that he's not a duck, despite having weird looking lips that kind of look like it.

Well, I'm done. I'm going. And I can't think of some sort of witty way to end it, so I guess I'll end it with a "call to arms." (everyone get your arm and hold it in your other arm...) We need to take a stand against stupid ways of spending taxpayer money! We need to do something about this! I propose that someone else do the writing, cause I would probably just write, "...---..." cause I'm done writing this blog.

7 comments:

  1. hey. mark: im sorry that you dont approve of my blog and it's obvious that you have no interest in becoming my friend... aquaintense even. so i guess we'll leave it at that. im sorry you're too cool for me, and im sorry you feel implyed to give me evil looks when i say hi to you. i guess i was wrong when i thought we were at least borderline friends or something, but i guess i'll save you some wasted time and just see you around (only this time i wont wave. sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Addict you were completely wrong about no child left behind. Your failure to truly know the facts makes me question how accurate the rest of this blog is. Here is the truth about no child left behind. This was a bipartisan effort to support the failing school systems throughout the country. Though it may have added water to the bureaucratic lake, it gives weak school systems requirements to push their students higher. (living in Utah where standards were already set to these levels and sometimes higher, it has not affected us. This is why Gov. Huntsman signed a law that allowed districts to ignore contradictory requirements, which the national standards where lesser.) The real reason that I like no child left behind, is it forces teachers into taking a competency test that they must pass before teaching a subject. This would prevent many of my former English teachers from having the opportunity to teach. (You can see they were ignorant and can’t teach by reading my comment, this is because they never taught me how to spell or use punctuation properly.) Because teachers are tested in their knowledge of their subject, and their teaching abilities it will save many students from the evils of uneducated baboons that we call Mrs. Pettigrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. My dad is a civil engineer and works for the Federal Government. He spends half his time in DC. I wish we could move back East...I love it back there...of course I would really miss you all! So I'm glad we live in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I just want to let you know that I'm not offended by anything you said (or did). You've apparantly offended Kate by not waving to her (?), Mr. President by "misinterpreting" NCLB, and Natalie by bashing her dad's profession. J/K. I don't think anyone's actually offended; it was just a funny twist of all of their comments. Anyway, I think the most effective solution to the problems you've addressed might be in writing our congressmen. . . what a brilliant idea! I wonder who came up w/ it. . . :)
    *Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not offended at all! I actually thought this blog was quite funny. You should most definitely write a congressman. You could get +20 experience points, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...Mark, I have something funny to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. You have done, now its time to be done by others. but civil engineering services are needful and are very important.

    ReplyDelete