Friday, January 23, 2009

i, CoinFlip

It's a pretty well known fact that I am an aspiring nerd. This next week in my Data Structures class (it's as deliciously scandalous as it sounds), the project is to write a program that predicts what the user will guess in a coin flip. Sounds innocent, right?

Wrong. This computer program learns based on the user's guesses. That's right, it learns. If the user uses any type of pattern, whether consciously or subconsciously, the program will learn and take advantage of it! 

This is terrifying. It could spell the destruction of our nation and our movie industry. I'm sure you're thinking, "What could a program that guesses coin flipping predictions possibly do?" Well, here are a few examples to show just how insidious this program could be.


I'm considering not doing the project. But I think I'd rather get a good grade in Professor Barker's class than prevent the destruction of mankind.

3 comments:

  1. I base most of my decisions on a coin flip, so I would appreciate a program to take out the hard part for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are afraid of the computer program then why are you posting this online? Now the computer is adapting to your personality...It feeds off of your fear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too late to stop it. I already implemented the logic. Nothing will stop it short of me turning off the computer, and I never do that. It might be angry with me.

    ReplyDelete