Saturday, March 10, 2007

Pilates: Don't Ever Read This One, Cause It's Not Funny

This week, after my morning swim practices, I had the opportunity to participate in Pilates. It's weird stuff. As I laid with my arms stretched out, my eyes fixed on the ceiling, and angelic music playing, it was hard to believe that I was actually there. I pinched myself, but I didn't wake up. So I decided to write a blog about it instead (it sure seemed like a logical train of thought to me...). Only, I'm not sure what the blog will be about, but I know that it will be about Pilates. So hang on to your hats, and enjoy the ride.

First, a little bit of historical info on the exercise method. It was created in the early 20th century by a certain Joseph Pilates. Hence, the name, Pilates. It focuses on core strength, and the control of the mind over the body. The Chinese invented Tai Chi first, and Tai Chi sounds cooler than "Pilates." "Tai Chi" sounds like some sort of exotic tiger. "Pilates" sounds like some sort of exotic fashion designer. So there. Asian supremacy.

So why is Pilates so popular? Well, I gained a little bit of insight into that as I did it. My friends and I, all accustomed to regular "work outs" (drowning), had absolutely no problem with "advanced" techniques. It's an easy work out (not drowning), and is possible for just about anyone. Also, the music is really quiet, and the old people give you dirty glares if you talk, so the environment is almost silent. The quiet, contemplative environment really allowed me to stop and slow down to think about just how much I really needed to figure out a clever way to end this blog. Maybe, I'll just end it the way they end the Pilates class. Take a deep breath in through your nose... and exhale it out through your mouth, exhaling through the motion required to push the little "X" in the upper left hand corner of the window.

2 comments:

  1. I did Pilates before it was cool.

    Actually, I didn't. I have just always wanted to say something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =D I love pilates. I'm a nerd, but it's really a good work out, even though the instructors are always loony and fanatic. I can just see you laying there on a mat in a room with a bunch of old people. =D ha ha ha. the thought of it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete