Saturday, March 31, 2007

Separation Of Church And State

This week, as I walked to the Seminary building, I noticed that there was caution tape parallel to the sidewalk that leads to the building. Caution tape is very hard not to notice, as we discovered when Kyler proposed that one of the candidates in the school election use it as a rallying force by distributing it throughout the school (I got some, and wrote "Asian" after every "Caution" on the tape to make the ultimate belt.). Anyways, I suspected that there must be some reason aside from the obvious aesthetic ones for putting the caution tape up. I talked to some informed people, who told me (so blame them if this is wrong) that the tape delineates the site of a wall. That will eventually be built. Unless it is built the same way that road construction is done in this city. In that case, random rocks will be dropped between the tape, and after three months, cleared away and replaced with a real wall.

But this wall will be more than just concrete. It will be an idea. A palpable victory for separation of church and state. A symbol that, by golly (I have NO idea what a "golly" is), this is America, where the phrase "under God" only appears in the Pledge of Allegiance because we want to be better than someone else, namely, the godless Commies. Our money proclaims, "In God We Trust," but prayer is banned from schools, and Darwinism has out evolved Intelligent Design, with natural selection favoring "The Origin Of Species" for the niche of "the lecture you will sleep through in Biology class."

So naturally, we will build a wall between the teacher parking lot and the Seminary building. Obviously, with the school population primarily LDS, and the minority so used to being in LDS-land that they don't even think to object, we must protect those who might be illegally parking in that lot from being offended at the sight of a building that looks like any other building except for small lettering that says "The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints". I personally applaud this crusade, proudly nominating it for "the stupidest use of money ever" award. I love separation of church and state, and could talk about it for hours, except I'm out of time, and have to go watch the LDS General Conference.

3 comments:

  1. I can't remember if I'm one of those nameless "someones" who was quoted as saying that the tape delineates the imminent wall. If so, I just have to say that that was purely an assumption. Nothing I've actually heard through the proper authority. Although I can ask if you want to know. But just as a side note, I noticed, upon the conclusion of this blog, you were about to go watch General Conference. At 7:30 p.m. On Saturday night. Did you really ditch priesthood session to blog? I'm either disappointed in you or in this blog service for posting inaccurate times. ;) (J/K)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Yay for spelling "separation" correctly. Not that I thought you wouldn't, because I assumed you would. It's just that I got tired of reading "seperation" and "preperation" on all of my brothers' priesthood session notes. It hurts after a while, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. (Tee hee hee....if you wouldn't have left a comment I couldn't have found your blog as well!) Lol. So it was interesting to see the difference on how the church is "protested" both in Manhattan when we were there, and how it's more subtly opposed here in our very own Utah Valley. It's sad, but true to see how the world is becoming....

    ReplyDelete