Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Environment: Who Cares?

This week, I was personally responsible for the destruction of an entire acre of rainforest. That's right, I had an English paper due. But before all of you environmentalists write petitions to your Congressperson (who is probably out to "lunch" right now), listen to my explanation first. I had to include about five hundred drafts at the demand of my English teacher. Basically, I'm using the politician's way out, namely, the blame game (which, unfortunately, is not a board or card game). It was Rich's fault! As I sit here and contemplate the wholesale destruction of wildlife and the environment that goes on today, I can't help but laugh. Actually, what I meant was... write a blog about it.

In what ways do people destroy the environment? I'm currently enrolled in a Geology class, and I'm constantly learning about the stupid things that we (but not me) do to degrade the world. For example, we recently learned about the process of New Jersyfication, which is the building of groins (It's not what you're thinking! If you just thought something innappropriate, I suggest you get your mind out of the gutters. I'm not joking. Get up out of your seat, go outside and pick up your stupid mind right now!) out into the ocean (this just goes to show that I do not sleep in Geology, at least not when we're learning about fascinating subjects like New Jersyfication). This keeps sand from traveling down the coast, and makes some parts of the beach erode at a rapid rate, destroying houses. My basic response was, "HAHA, suckers!" and then I realized that this was wreaking havoc on the environment when my conscience (political correctness) kicked in.

Why do people exploit the environment? Money. Money is always the answer to any question outside of Geology field trips (the answers there are "basalts", "Lake Bonneville", "fissures", and the "Sevier Mountain Range Event", in case you ever take the class). In the old days (the days that are no longer "spring chicken", but actually "rotisserie chicken"), industries would just dump their waste (chemical waste, not...) anywhere they wanted. If someone was getting sick, getting cancer, turning into the Hulk, Wolverine, etc., it was their problem. Because the industry wasn't about to waste money on other people or the environment's safety. It's absurd to think otherwise! The Golden Rule, my eye! If there was anything gold about it, people would have stolen it ages ago.

Now a days, people exploit the environment as much as they possibly can without causing some sort of catastrophe like in The Day After Tomorrow, which not only detailed some catastrophes, but was a catastrophe itself. Industries try to make the most money possible. This is why whole forests are cut down to make paper, why the earth is mined until there's nothing there. This is why we try and avoid costly proceedures that only lead to a cleaner earth. Money can explain all of this. It can even explain why I had to write so many drafts for Sir Rich. The more we write, the more sucessful it seems the class is. This explain the length of my blogs. The longer they are, the more "analytical" thought that went into them. Unless you're capable of "analytical" thought yourself; then you know there's nothing much in here.

2 comments:

  1. Ky was complaining about the same problem issue the other day when I came by the house. If all else fails, the best way to be able to deal with the fact that the only natural forest land we have left is diminishing by the minute, is to remind your self that the loss of trees increases the rapidity of the effects of global warming, and as soon as California and Nevada drown out from the iceburgs melting, we, my son, will live on beachfront property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Clark would approve. And just wait 'til you start getting recruited to colleges. Then you'll have killed off a whole forest.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete